Most people say they don't like anchovies...but the truth is that if you don't know it is in your food, you probably like the special salty flavor it brings. Give it a try! Recipe adapted from Sue Li and Chris Morocco's recipe in Bon Appetit magazine.
Caesar Salad Dressing and Croutons
- 6 anchovy filets
- 1 small garlic clove
- Salt pinch
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup sunflower seed oil or other flavorless oil
- 3 tablespoon finely grated parmesan Pepper to taste
- day-old bread for croutons optional
- Make a paste by chopping together the anchovy, garlic, and salt, then using the side of the knife blade to mash into a paste.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, and mustard.
- Very slowly whisk in the olive oil, then sunflower seed oil, then parmesan and pepper.
- Taste to see if you need more salt, pepper, or lemon juice.
- For the croutons: Cut some day-old bread into 1 inch cubes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with sale and pepper (or herbes de Provence) and bake for 15 minutes at 300F.