Popular as an appetizer or side dish, Caesar salad is known for its distinctive garlicky, creamy, and slightly salty dressing. Making your own delicious salad dressing at home is no mystery – I'm providing all the steps necessary to create a perfect Caesar salad dressing whenever you want it!
🌟Why you'll love this recipe
🧾Ingredients in this recipe
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
👩🍳How to make this recipe
🍞How to make homemade croutons
Cut your day-old bread into 1-inch cubes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper (or herbes de Provence), and bake for 15 minutes at 300F.
🥗 Make it a chicken Caesar salad
Drizzle some boneless skinless chicken breasts with olive oil or any flavorless oil and season with salt and pepper or lemon pepper. Roast at 425°F for 30-40 minutes until cooked through. The internal temperature should read 165°F.
Add chopped romaine, the roasted chicken, your homemade croutons, and some extra shaved parmesan to a bowl. Pour in your dressing and toss to coat.
Take it one step further and make these incredible chicken Caesar salad wraps.
Most Caesar dressing from the store or at restaurants does have anchovies in it. The anchovies provide an amazing salty flavor to round out the dish. Anchovies are actually in a lot of great sauces and dressings you may not even realize.
Traditional Caesar dressing does have dairy from the Parmesan cheese. If you eat dairy-free, you can easily substitute with vegan parmesan cheese.
Caesar salad dressing is gluten-free.
Caesar salad dressing does contain oils and fats in the ingredients, but these are healthy when eaten as part of a balanced diet. If your Caesar dressing is really heavy on the oil and Parmesan cheese this dish can be a little less healthy for you.
For more tasty salad recipes, try these favorites.
10-Minute Caesar Salad Dressing
- 6 anchovy filets
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup flavorless oil like sunflower seed, canola, or avocado
- 3 tablespoon finely grated parmesan
- Pepper to taste
- Mince together the garlic, anchovies, and salt.Mixing in a bowl: use the side of your knife blade to mash it into a paste.Using a food processor: add the minced mixture to a food processor bowl.
- Mixing in a bowl: In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard.Using a food processor: Add the egg yolks, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and olive oil to the food processor bowl and pulse a couple of times.
- Mixing in a bowl: very slowly whisk in the olive oil, then the flavorless oil.Using a food processor: add the lid to the food processor bowl. While running, slowly pour in the flavorless oil.
- Fold in the parmesan and pepper. Taste the dressing at this point to see if you need more salt, pepper, or lemon juice. Trust your tastebuds!