Looking for an incredibly simple slow-cooker Passover brisket? Well, here you go! It's simple, delicious, and even better in sandwiches the next day. Does your slow cooker get too hot? I'm sharing my secret for keeping it lower than the low setting, too!
Step by step simple slow cooker brisket
Heat the avocado oil in a heavy bottom sauté pan, dutch oven, or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Season the brisket with pepper. Sear the brisket, flipping once, until golden brown. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Add the onion, fennel, carrots, celery, rosemary, garlic, bay leaves, red wine, and soy sauce/coconut aminos to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until tender, 6-8 hours. Let rest for 20 minutes with the slow cooker on warm.
Slow Cooker FAQ
- Make sure you season well and sear the brisket before slow cooking. Searing the brisket helps keep it juicy!
- Do I trim the fat off brisket? Leave some fat on the brisket. The fat adds flavor and tenderness, especially the fat that is marbled inside the cut of meat. However, I do prefer to buy leaner cuts of brisket and trim off all the large slabs of fat.
- Can I use an Instant Pot instead? Of course! First, make sure your Instant Pot setting says "sealing" instead of "venting." Cook for 25-30 minutes.
Does your slow cooker get too hot?
Unlike classic crockpots, most new slow cookers stay too hot on the low setting. Therefore, the low setting does not allow for low and slow, true slower cooker cooking. But I have a hack for you! First, use a timer that plugs into the outlet, and plug the slow cooker into the timer ($9). Then, set the timer so that every other tick is off. It helps keep the slow cooker lower than the low setting. If you have an older crockpot, no need!
Can You Overcook Brisket in a Slow Cooker?
It is possible, but not likely to overcook brisket in a slow-cooker. Over low heat, the meat gets more and more tender. However, once the brisket easily pulls apart (or reaches the magic temperature of 203F), then you should remove it from the heat so it doesn't tighten up too much when cooling.
How Long Do You Cook Brisket in the Crockpot?
Cook brisket in a crockpot or slow-cooker on low for 8-10 hours, until fork tender.
Do You Have to Sear Beef Before Slow Cooking?
Searing the surface of beef before adding it to a slow cooker seals in the beef flavor and adds a golden-brown color. Skipping this step will yield a more bland dish. However, the beef will still be cooked whether it is seared or not.
What to serve the brisket with...
Although the brisket is delicious alone with the veggies, I love serving it with the following:
Other slow cooker recipes you'll love
I love using my slow cooker on those busy weeknights... here are my favorites:
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Slow Cooker Passover Brisket Recipe
- 3 ½ lbs. beef brisket
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 red onion quartered
- 1 fennel quartered
- 2 carrots cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 stalks celery cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce
- Heat the avocado oil in a heavy bottom sauté pan, dutch oven, or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Season the brisket with pepper. Sear the brisket, flipping once, until golden brown. Transfer to your slow cooker.
- Add the onion, fennel, carrots, celery, rosemary, garlic, bay leaves, red wine, and soy sauce/coconut aminos to your slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until tender, 6-8 hours. Let rest for 20 minutes with the slow cooker on warm.
This post was originally published in February of 2019, but was republished with step by step instructions and tips September of 2019.