This food blog is the place where I combine my three food passions to create delicious and exciting recipes to share with you! Inspired by my own mixed heritage and travels around the world, my recipes are often a fusion of different cuisines, and I try to create plant-based versions of my dishes any time I can.
This blog is a place where all foodies of every skill level feel encouraged and confident to succeed in the kitchen. It’s a place for you to experiment, discover new things, and above all, have fun!
I believe food should be a source of joy: it’s creative and therapeutic and messy and fascinating and unites people all over the world. Together, let’s make food that feels good!
Hi, I’m Candice, and I’m the voice behind Proportional Plate. I grew up with the delicious smells of my mom’s cooking and an early appreciation for the wonderful variety and depth of flavor in Persian cuisine. I am also Jewish, and love making traditional and not-so-traditional versions of my favorite recipes. Oh, and I have a strong obsession with matcha green tea and work it into any type of food I can!
Just like I found my own path and love for food, I encourage you to choose your own adventure and pleasures in your own food journey. I champion body-positivity and choice-positivity and warmly welcome everyone to my blog no matter where you are on your journey.
Wondering what I do as a food blogger and photographer? Well, you can find me:
- Calling my grandma to recreate an old Persian recipe and figure out how I can make it with proper measurements.
- Trying to work matcha into every recipe I can from French silk pie to panna cotta to cookies (even if it takes 15 tries!)
- Seeing if I can improve the reputation of recipes like gefilte fish with some fresh salmon or my other favorite ingredients.
- Remodeling my kitchen and helping others design theirs.
- Using my photography and videography skills for my work and to help my clients show off their creations and products.
- Learning and educating myself about food sustainability and proportional eating.
Working on a kitchen remodel? See what a food blogger’s experience can bring to your kitchen design!
Some fun facts about me...
- I live in Portland, OR and love how close it is to so many outdoor activities. Nature fuels me in a way nothing else does. I spend as much of my time as I can playing outside and in my garden.
- I married my best friend, and we quit our jobs to travel around the world for a year. We want to do it again....soon.
- I am a certified yoga instructor, but don't teach anymore. Most of my working out now is rock climbing related.
- I have a mixed heritage and have lived in other countries, so you will find fusion influences in most of my recipes.
- I LOVE learning everything I can about food & its impact on our health and well-being.
- I throw pottery, and you'll see my latest pieces in my photos.
Press, Interviews, & Publications
Candice has been interviewed on podcasts like the AllRecipes Homemade Podcast, Dishing Podcast, The Fit Fifteen, and Eat Blog Talk, and has had articles published on Thought Catalog and Medium. She has been named one of Perez Hilton's 'Who's Who' that you need to know.
Candice’s recipes have been featured in many publications including BuzzFeed, Eater, Vents Magazine, Parade, Shape, Williams Sonoma Taste, and more.
Her clients include Headspace, Procter & Gamble, Kroger, Tillamook, OXO, Mr. Clean, RX, The Mushroom Council, American Lamb Board, Copper River Salmon, among many more.
Candice also does regular cooking demos and classes on KATU Afternoon Live, at Williams Sonoma & Surfas Culinary District and the Megan Pormer Show on Playworks.
Candice also does regular cooking demos and classes on KATU Afternoon Live, at Williams Sonoma & Surfas Culinary District and the Megan Pormer Show on Playworks. She is currently teaching virtual private cooking classes.
BuzzFeed | Now That It's Finally November, Here Are 30 Super Seasonal Recipes To Make On Repeat This Month | November 2021
Eater | Eater Explains Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Persimmons | November 2021
Porch.com | "Using and Caring for Herbs, Spices, and Condiments at Home Q&A" | October 2021
AllRecipes Magazine | "What's the Most Valuable Player in Your Kitchen Toolbox?"| August/September 2021 Issue
AllRecipes Homemade Podcast | Episode 49: Growing Ingredients at Home With Zac Posen and Candice Walker | July 2021
Perez Hilton | Here is Our Top 'Who's Who' that You Need to Know | May 2021
Dishing Podcast | Episode 109 | May 2021
Thought Catalog | Why Anti-Racism Is Our Passover Theme This Year Article | March 2021
AllRecipes | Quoted in One Year Later: How the Pandemic Changed Home Cooking | March 2021
Medium | Pi Day Article | March 2021
Wandercooks | Full Time Foodies Interview | February 2021
Vents Magazine | Recipe Feature | December 2020
The Megan Pormer Show | Episode 3, Episode 9, and March 6 on Playworks| 2020/2021
Eat Blog Talk Podcast| Episode 151 | November 2020
Parade Magazine | Recipe Feature | April 2020
Shape Magazine | Recipe Feature | March 2020
Williams Sonoma Taste | Recipe Feature | April 2020
The Fit Fifteen Podcast | Episode 167 | 2020
Media kit available on request. See below contact form for links to select collaborations.
5331 S. Macadam Ave.
Portalnd, OR 97239