Last updated on May 7th, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Hi, I’m Candice! Focusing on self-care & healthy recipes, Proportional Plate is where I share tips, meal plans, & recipes to inspire small changes in your life that make big impacts.
Why small changes?
We all want it all. For me, taking on a strict diet or regiment pushes me farther away from getting the life balance I want. I’ve mastered how to live my life proportionally, with ease, by making millions of small changes to my life, one at a time. Once one intention gets integrated, I bring on a new one. And then another, and another… And I am always farther along on my journey than I thought I’d be.
Setting an Intention
What do you want to create in your life right now? Is it starting a meditation practice? Creating a happier work/life balance? Learning small diet tweaks? Exploring teas/herbs/adaptogens? Expanding your yoga or workout practice? Learning about daily life balance with a full time job? Incorporating more self care into your life? Choosing to focus on law of attraction/attracting your soulmate into your world? or just bringing in how to have a proportional life? PICK ONE. And pick one small change you can make right now. Try it out for a week. Evaluate how it feels. If it feels like it is integrated into your life, choose a new one and repeat. Or, you can follow along in the Proportional Plate One Small Change Challenges announced every Sunday on Instagram.
Meal Plans & My Relationship to Food
I have mastered how to cook, eat, work, play, and live life proportionally – starting by learning how to consciously and sustainably enjoy healthy food. At Proportional Plate, I teach how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
I provide the grocery list and recipes, you do the shopping and cooking. Four meals a week, each serves four people, two vegetarian, two not. If you’re a group of two like me, the leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
When I’m not working, I’m thinking about food – what I am going to eat, when I am going to eat it, and who I get to share my meals with. With a booming career, wanting to spend more and more time with my love, and life’s other distractions I found it harder and harder to eat healthy, balanced meals because, well, even thinking about it takes time. I have learned how to enjoy nourishing, delicious, seasonal, balanced meals without spending hours in the kitchen. Here I am to share recipes created and collected over years of feeding loved ones.
What do the meal plans look like?
You’ll be getting meal plans every other week with 7 dinners, a bonus recipe, and a categorized grocery list!
What should you expect from the dinners?
1 meat, 1 poultry, 1 fish, & 4 vegetarian dinners + a bonus recipe that will usually be a dessert or cocktail.
Make sure you take a look at the grocery list, shortcuts, & meal prep tips at the end of each meal plan. They’re there to help ensure you don’t unnecessarily waste any time.
For those of you interested in cooking less often, you can spread the 7 dinners over 2 weeks!
What does it mean to eat proportionally?
We all learned the food groups in elementary school, but much has changed since then. How do we know if we are eating a balanced meal or eating proportionally in general?
Everyone’s body and lifestyle are very different. A big part of the journey to eating proportionally is learning your body. What does it need to feel strong, powerful, energized, and balanced? What foods make you feel sluggish, moody, and unbalanced?
A few rules I follow:
- Eat mostly plants: I keep my portions of non-plant foods smaller than my plant-based foods. I try and keep it a minimum of 70% vegetarian.
- If I need to eat before a workout, I eat protein. Carbs after.
- Don’t follow everything you read on the internet. Test things out and see how they work for YOU. For example, It took me a long time to learn which adaptogens work for my body. Take the time. It is worth it.
- Learn what foods you are allergic to by doing an elimination diet.
- Stay active. Even if it’s just a 10 minute walk outside.
- Stop eating when you are full!
- Dessert is usually fresh fruit. It’s summer, people! Let’s take advantage of all this amazing summer fruit!
- I snack on raw veggies throughout the day, especially if I don’t think I have time for lunch. Keep them chopped and ready to go in the fridge, and grab a few handfuls for lunch on the go.
- Eat high-nutrient foods, grains, and seeds like sweet potatoes, wild rice, farro, and quinoa. Stay away from low-nutrient foods like white potatoes and white rice.
- Do everything in moderation. I eat meat, drink alcohol, and enjoy decadent desserts. You don’t have to cut things out of your diet because you think they are bad. Have 2 spoons of ice cream or a piece of chocolate instead of splurging on that sundae that makes you feel sluggish the next day.
Because everyone is different, take the time to learn what works for your body. Keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you. Celebrate YOU by learning more about yourself. And always keep it simple, keep it healthy, keep it delicious!
Some fun facts about Candice…
- I live between Portland, OR and LA…and LOVE that I get to travel between these two awesome cities.
- I married my best friend, and we quit our jobs to travel around the world for a year. We want to do it again….soon.
- I am a certified yoga instructor, but don’t teach anymore. Most of my working out now is rock climbing related.
- I don’t just meal plan for you…I do it for me! With all the crazy things going on in life, I meal plan to help myself eat healthy. I share the meal plans with grocery lists to make it easier for all of us!
- I am working on my Holistic Nutrition Certification and LOVE learning everything I can about food & it’s impact on our health and well-being.
Press & Collaborations
Proportional Plate has been featured in Feed Feed, The Fit Fifteen Podcast, FoodGawker, Yummly, SideChef, Andy Boy Produce, Bloglovin‘ and more! Proportional Plate also does regular cooking demos and classes at Williams Sonoma & Surfas Culinary District. These are a few of the brands that have collaborated with and/or featured Proportional Plate….
Media kit available on request. See below contact form for links to select collaborations.
Select Press & Collaborations
The Fit Fifteen Podcast | #1 Fitness Podcast | Episode 167: Weekly Meal Planner Candice Walker Shares Recipes and Tips for a Balanced Life | April 2019
Andy Boy Produce | Spicy Tahini Gnocchi with Broccoli Rabe, Garlic & Fennel| Recipe Development | April 2019
Mizuba Tea Co. | Matcha Affogato| March 2018
Wellshire Bacon & Andy Boy Produce | Garlic Roasted Broccoli Rabe with Turkey Bacon, Fennel, & Blood Orange| Recipe Development | March 2019
Andy Boy Produce | Lemon & Herb Fusilli with Broccoli Rabe, Fennel, & Sausage | Recipe Development | February 2019
Finex Cookware | Recipe & Instagram Giveaway| November 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Citrus Salmon with Fennel, Citrus and Mint Slaw| Recipe Development | November 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Broccoli Rabe Ravioli with Broccoli Rabe Pesto| Recipe Development | November 2018
Maya Kaimal | Madras Curry Lamb Burger Gyro with Broccoli Rabe and Cactus Pear Yogurt | Recipe Development & Instagram Takeover | November 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Cannellini Bean and Broccoli Rabe Toast| Recipe Development | November 2018
Constellation Luxury Wine |Cranberry, Thyme, Brie, & Apple Crostini| Recipe Development & Blog Post | November 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Broccoli Rabe Bucatini with Broccoli Rabe Pesto| Recipe Development | November 2018
Mizuba Tea Co. | Dark Chocolate Gelt with Matcha Mousse Filling| November 2018
Colmans Mustard | Soft Beer Pretzel & How to Twist a Pretzel! | Recipe Development | October 2018
Kroger Private Selection | Red Wine & Honey Braised Beef Stew & Fall Pantry Essentials | Recipe Development & Blog Post | October 2018
Blue Shield of California | Wellvolution Blog Post | October 2018
Side Chef | Ongoing Recipe Partnership & Features on Recipe App | September 2018
Kroger |Apple Brie Crostini with Walnuts, Honey, & Thyme | Recipe Development, Garden Party, & Blog Post| June 2018
Mizuba Tea Co. | Matcha Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches| June 2018
La Marca Prosecco | Kiwi Bellini with Mint | Recipe Development & Blog Post| May 2018
Driscoll’s | Mixed Berry Lettuce Cups with Limoncello Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | February 2018
Driscoll’s | Romaine Salad with Cactus Pear, Mixed Berries, Fennel, Apple, & Basil Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Broccoli Rabe, Fennel and Apple Slaw | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Spiralized Fennel & Broccoli Rabe Gratin | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Slow-Cooker Cactus Pear Chicken with Broccoli Rabe | Recipe Development | January 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Veggie Zoodle Stir Fry with Broccoli Rabe | Recipe Development | January 2018
Andy Boy Produce | Grapefruit, Fennel & Herb Salad with Cactus Pear Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | December 2017
Andy Boy Produce | Beet & Fennel Gazpacho with Broccoli Rabe Pesto | Recipe Development | December 2017
Epicurean | Persimmon, Goat Cheese, and Pomegranate | Recipe | December 27, 2017
Cento Fine Foods | Pasta Puttanesca | Recipe | December 7, 2017
Epicurean | Fig, Brie, & Arugula Pesto Pizza | Recipe | July 7, 2017
Probar | Brand Ambassadorship | June 6, 2017
Huffington Post Taste | Rosemary Garlic Trout | Recipe | January 15, 2017
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1732 Aviation Blvd. #525
Redondo Beach, CA 90278