This persimmon bread has the texture of banana bread, but it’s even better because its made with persimmons! It’s got all the flavors of winter, and utilizes one of my favorite winter fruits. And just like how you use overripe bananas for banana bread, you get to use those overripe persimmons for this bread!
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for greasing your loaf pan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup very ripe persimmon pulp do not use the peels
- 1 persimmon thinly sliced for garnish/decoration
- Preheat to 350F. Lightly grease your 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl sift the dry ingredients. Flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the vanilla extract.
- With a hand mixer or standing mixer slowly pour the egg mixture into the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the persimmon. Remove from mixer.
- With a spoon or rubber spatula, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients 1/3 at a time. Mix with a rubber spatula until just incorporated.
- Pour into loaf pan. Cook 1 hour until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely. I let it cool overnight and have it for breakfast!
How ripe should the persimmons be?
When baking with persimmon, ou want to use very ripe and mushy persimmons. The riper, the sweeter. Also, the mushiness of the ripe persimmon makes it so the persimmon can be evenly distributed throughout the batter.
Note that the batter is very wet, so don’t concerned if it looks like wet like banana bread batter. I use a non-stick loaf pan.
Can I use the persimmon skins?
No. The skins do not provide a pleasant texture. Please make sure you peel the persimmons
My trick to an extra moist persimmon bread…
Let the bread cool completely in a sealed environment. Use a plastic bag or large resealable container. Then, leave the bread overnight and enjoy it in the morning.
Love persimmons as much as I do?
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to persimmon cake for your persimmons, try this persimmon & goat cheese salad with radicchio and pomegranate molasses vinaigrette.