It’s taco Tuesday, and all I’m craving is these sweet & tangy steak tacos. Get ready for an addictive flavor combo with just the right kick in this incredible marinade. Do you have a recipe that you crave regularly?
How to get the most flavorful and tender meat…
Marinade in the sweet & tangy steak taco marinade overnight if you can, 2 hours minimum. When you remove the meat from the marinade to cook it, reserve the leftover marinade. If you have the time, pour the leftover marinade into a saucepan. Then, bring it to a boil, and simmer it for 20-30 minutes. Allow the sauce to reduce down by about half.
Sweet & Tangy Steak Tacos
- 2 lb. flank steak or chuck
- 1 orange juiced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup agave
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 avocados sliced (or smashed if fancy looks don’t matter to you)
Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeño finely diced, seeds removed for a milder salsa
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- flour or corn tortillas heated just before serving
- 1/4 purple cabbage shredded or very thinly sliced
- limes cut in wedges, for serving
- Salsa: Mix ingredients in a bowl. Set aside. Can be made a day in advance.
- Marinade the steak in the refrigerator overnight in the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, agave, minced garlic, oregano, chili powder, and salt. Take it out of the refrigerator 20-30 minutes before you cook it.
- Pour the juices from the marinade in a sauce pan. Bring to boil, lower to a simmer, and reduce the marinade by half. Takes 10-15 minutes. You can cook your steak in the meantime.
- Turn on the broiler on high. Let heat for 1 minute after the flame comes on.
- Put the flank steak in the oven. Cook 5 minutes.
- Remove steak from the oven. Leave the oven on and the oven door open. Flip the steak.
- Cook until internal temperature reads ~135 for medium-rare. (4-5 more minutes).
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.
- Assemble your tacos with the cabbage on the bottom, then the steak, and top with the salsa. A squeeze of lime makes it just right. Drizzle the reduced sauce on top.
If you marinade your meat the night before. This easy taco Tuesday weeknight dinner is ready in less than 30 minutes! Marinade the night before or morning of, and you’ll be much closer to dinner when you get home.
What is the best way to cook the sweet & tangy steak?
I’ve cooked the steak in these tacos on the grill, under the broiler, and even on the stovetop. My two favorite ways to cook the steak tacos are under the broiler and on the grill because you get the slightly charred edges that taste incredible with the marinade. However, all versions taste delicious.
Whichever way you choose to cook the steak, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. cook until the thermometer reads 135F in the thickest part of the meat for medium-rare.
Kosher Steak Tacos: Is flank steak kosher?
No. Flank steak comes from the rear of the cow, so it is not kosher. If you find flank steak in a kosher market, it is likely a cut of chuck that they trimmed to look like flank steak. So if you’re looking for kosher steak tacos, grab the chuck at your local kosher market.