Are you dairy-free? I am going dairy-free for the next two months…and perhaps even longer per doctor's orders. So, I get home from the doctor and what's hanging out in my fridge? A Costco sized smoked salmon. And what do I like to eat with my smoked salmon? Cream cheese. Yes, dairy. So I got creative, made some smoked salmon spring rolls and a mustard vinaigrette to dip it in…
Pleasantly surprised with how delicious they turned out, there was a glimmer of hope that flowed over me. I already want to make them again, and hubby is asking about them, too! So I posted on Instagram and got an overwhelming amount of support...THANK YOU. It feels great to be a part of a supportive, loving community. And all the vegan ice cream and cheese suggestions will be tried...and I'm excited about it!
I love when recipes happen accidentally turn out wonderfully. I had leftover rice paper in my pantry and was use them. So get creative with this one...what veggies do you already have in your fridge? Sprouts? Carrots? Purple cabbage? It would also be delicious with some rice noodles inside!
Smoked Salmon Spring Rolls
- 1 package rice paper wrappers
- 1 lb. smoked salmon
- 3-4 persian cucumbers sliced on a mandolin
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 small bunch spinach
- 1 small red onion sliced on a mandolin
- 2 avocados sliced
- fresh herbs optional
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon vegan mayonaisse optional
- For the dressing, mix the ingredients until emulsified. I like to shake them in a jar.
- Pour water into a shallow dish and dip the rice paper for 2-3 seconds per side. Transfer to a damp cutting board. Trust me, it sounds easier than it looks. Add 1 layer of smoked salmon, then cucumber slices, spinach, onion, avocado, capers, herbs, and romaine. They don't all need to be the same. Gently roll like a burrito. Cover with a damp towel to keep fresh.
My trick to rolling spring rolls is simple...don't have high expectations, and expect that the first one will be a disaster. Also, I like to roll each one with 2 wrappers, overlapping like a Venn diagram. For some reason, it makes it easier, and then I cut them in half and they look pretty.
Aren't these smoked salmon spring rolls just beautiful? I think they'd be a great appetizer, too. I think I'll take some to work for lunch tomorrow!
This mustard vinaigrette is also found on my panzanella salad. Click here for the recipe to give it a try.