This fish & chips recipe is the only one you’ll need. Have some batter leftover? Make these tempura fried apples!
Fish & Chips
This fish & chips recipe is the only one you'll need. Have some batter leftover? Make my tempura apple cinnamon treats!
- 1 1/2 lbs. fish (I use opah, but cod or tilapia work, too)
- flavorless oil like sunflower seed, safflower, or canola
- salt & pepper
- 3-4 large Russet potatoes peeled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice water
- Preheat to 350F.
- Chop the potatoes so they are all the same size, ~1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Just barely cover the potatoes in a pot with water. Add salt, and bring to boil. When it comes to a full boil turn the heat to simmer and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to sheet pan.
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Put in the oven for ~20-30 minutes - however long it takes them to get golden and crispy.
- Add enough oil to your pan so it is 3 inches deep. I use a smaller pot and fry in batches. Heat to 375F.
- Make your batter: Crack your egg into a medium sized bowl. Scramble. Sift in the flour. Mix in the water with a fork. You don't want to over-mix with a whisk.
- Cut your fish into large strips. Should end up being 2-strips per person. Season with salt & pepper.
- In small batches, dip your fish in the batter and immerse into the hot oil. Cook 3-4 minutes, flipping half way.
Calories: 418kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 42g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 1228mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 60IU | Vitamin C: 9.1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 4mg