My partner cooked this dish for me when we first started dating…and won me over. I FINALLY got him to share the recipe. This top-secret teriyaki salmon recipe is all you need to win someone over you’ve been dating for a week, or married to for 50 years.
- 1 1/2 lb. wild line-caught salmon
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 8 inches ginger finely chopped (~1/3 cup when chopped)
- 6 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot finely chopped OR 1 bunch of scallions, whites only
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Add the olive oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and shallot to a baking dish that fits your salmon.
- Place the salmon SKIN SIDE UP. This is the big trick in the recipe. It allows all the fat to seep into the salmon as it cooks. Also makes for easy skin removal.
- Cook 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish. You will know it is ready when the skin easily peels off in one piece. Also, it should easily flake when you cut into the center.
- Peel skin off (should be easy or the salmon isn't ready).
- Cut and serve. I flip it over to serve so the bottom is up. Top with sauce from pan if desired.