After you make these umami green beans, you'll never want to make green beans another way again! The char adds an addictive sweetness like no other that will knock your socks off.
How to trim green beans
To trim your green beans, pinch or cut off the stems. The pointy end does not need to be trimmed (photo 1). Then, chop or not and cook as you please. I add them to a heated cast iron with avocado oil and cook them until charred (photos 2 & 3).
How to cook fresh green beans
After charring your green beans on at least one side, add your soy sauce, mirin, scallions, and garlic (photos 1 & 2). Then, toss well to coat and cook until charred all over.
Tips for the perfect sautéed green bean recipe
- The more charred the green beans are, the more delicious they will be.
- Cook in a cast iron pan for extra char! You do not need to make this recipe in a cast iron and I have made it both ways. If you choose to use a regular pan, cooking the green beans may take a few extra minutes.
- Keep a splash guard handy. The green beans will spatter when they hit the oil because of their water content.
You won't need another green bean recipe after trying this one!
Looking for a cast iron pan?
There are 2 cast iron options that are awesome. The Lodge cast iron skillet ($33) works great and is a great price. If you’re looking for the pretty one photographed in this post, grab the 12" Finex cast iron with lid ($280). It's awesome. Make sure you get the one with the lid!
Umami Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans trimmed
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil or other flavorless oil
- 5 scallions finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Sauté the green beans in the oil over medium/medium-high until charred on at least one side, tossing occasionally, ~10 minutes
- When cooked, add the scallion whites and garlic. Cook for 5 more minutes, tossing to make sure the green beans are well coated and charred all over.
- Add the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, scallions, and garlic. Cook ~1 minute.
- Serve immediately!
Leave a comment & rate the recipe