This is a go-to appetizer over fried wontons any time my family gets together, and here as an amazing salad. Everyone goes straight to them and they disappear quickly, so make sure you get a bite for yourself! Recipe adapted from Alfred Portale's Gotham Bar and Grill Cookbook.
Tuna Tartare Salad
- 1 lb. fresh sashimi-grade tuna
- ⅓ cup scallions very thinly sliced and white parts only
- 2 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger juice grate ginger and squeeze the liquid using cheesecloth
- 6 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- ½ tablespoon shallot finely minced
- 1 very small garlic clove or ½ garlic clove
- 1 splash hot sauce I use valentina
- Salt and white pepper
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce
- Vinaigrette: Put the lime juice, ginger juice, and hot sauce in a food processor or blender. With the motor running, slowly add the oil. Whisk in the shallot and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Tuna: Do this just before serving or the vinaigrette will cook the tuna. Mix the tuna, scallions, vinaigrette, and season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add the tuna to a bowl with the lettuce and serve immediately!