Ever wish you could make take out Chinese food at home? Now’s your chance with this General Tso’s Tofu ready to eat in 25 minutes! I made this 4 times before I got a recipe I loved to share with you. You will never want to order take out again. Recipe adapted from The Woks of Life.
General Tso's Tofu
- 1½ tbsp honey
- 2 tsp hot sauce I always use Valentina
- 1 lb. firm tofu drained, pat dry, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 ½ tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp arrowroot depending on the wetness of the tofu
- ⅓-1 cup oil for frying
- ½ tsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 whole dried Chinese red chili peppers optional
- ½ tablespoon Shaoxing wine or substitute with Sherry
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 lbs broccoli florets
- 2½ tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1½ tablespoons arrowroot mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Mix the hot sauce and honey in a medium bowl. Add the tofu and toss until coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and toss until coated.
- Sprinkle and toss with arrowroot until coated and dry.
- Heat oil in a small frying pan. Not letting the tofu pieces touch each other, fry 2 minutes per side. set on paper bags or paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium heat (you can use leftover oil from the tofu frying.) Add the ginger, garlic, and whole dried chili peppers and stir for 30 seconds. Add the wine and stir for 30-60 seconds.
- Add the water and let it come to boil.
- Add the broccoli, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil. Let it come to a boil.
- Slowly add the arrowroot/water mixture while stirring constantly until thick. ~1 minute.
- Add the fried tofu. Stir. Serve with sprouted brown rice!