Thailand is a magical place with the kindest people and delicious food. In the 3 months we got to live there, I ate so much delicious Thai food, and even got to take a cooking class where I learned a version of this recipe…this vegetarian version is sure to please any meat eater!⠀
Vegetarian Pad Thai
- 1 lb. Pad Thai noodles
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 small bunch scallions greens and whites sliced
- 6 oz. bean sprouts
- 2 medium carrots thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp flavorless oil like sunflower seed or canola
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp anchovy fish sauce or use the vegan fish sauce recipe below
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Optional: basil to garnish
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the noodles 1 minute shorter than advised on the package, ~3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, fry the tofu in a non stick pan with 2 tbsp oil until golden. Add the garlic. Fry until fragrant.
- Mix the soy sauce, miso, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Scramble the eggs in bowl.
- Add the noodles, the sauce you mixed, and stir well.
- Push the noodles to the side and add the eggs to the bottom of the pan. Spread them around and mix them in.
- Add the bean sprouts, carrots, and scallions. Stir well. Cover, turn to simmer, and allow the carrots to slightly steam for 2 minutes.
- Top with basil and serve!