My take on a persian classic…I use less meat, farro instead of basmati rice, and my own spin on spices!
Dolmeh Felfel - Stuffed Peppers
My take on a persian classic...I use less meat, farro instead of basmati rice, and my own spin on spices!
- 4 multi-colored bell peppers
- 1/2 lb. ground lamb beef, turkey, chicken, or soy chorizo
- 3/4 cup uncooked 10-minute farro or 1.5 cups any cooked grain
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs parsley, dill, and basil or 3 tbsp dried
- 1/4 cup matzo meal bread crumbs, or potato chip crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoons salt do not add salt if using the soy chorizo
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat to 350F.
- Mix the meat, farro, onion, half the tomato sauce, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, herbs, matzo meal, salt, and pepper, and put back in the refrigerator.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and any large white parts.
- Split your filling into 4 portions. Gently stuff each bell pepper. Do not press too firmly. Let the filling be loose.
- Cover with the bell pepper tops and place in an 8x8 or similar square baking dish.
- Cover with the remaining tomato sauce. Cook 1 hour.
Calories: 392kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 627mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4415IU | Vitamin C: 169.8mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 4.1mg