A meyer lemon curd recipe taken to an awesome level…as the filling inside the perfect meyer lemon scented sufganiyot. You can make the curd 1 week in advance which makes for VERY easy entertaining! Happy Chanukah!
Meyer Lemon Sufganiyot
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp + 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp meyer lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh meyer lemon juice
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup lukewarm coconut milk or water
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 whole egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- meyer lemon zest from 3 lemons
- 1 ⅔ cups flour + up to 3 tbsp more as needed
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Put the milk (or water) in a small bowl. Top with the yeast and 1 tsp sugar. Let sit until foamy, ~10 minutes. If it doesn't foam it means the yeast is not active and you need to start again.
- Best in a mixer but also works in a bowl with a hand mixer: Add 8 tsp sugar, egg, yolk, and the yeast mixture. Mix well. Add the vegetable oil, salt, vanilla, and zest. Mix well. Gradually add the flour. If too sticky, add up to 3 tbsp more flour. Make sure it is mixed well. Oil a medium bowl. Place the dough in the oiled bowl. Refrigerate 4-16 hours.
- Curd: Whisk the eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and meyer lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until thick enough to coat a spoon, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend on VERY low speed, slowly adding small chunks of the other 2 tbsp of butter. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill 2 hours minimum. Make sure to lick the spoon. So good.
- Flour your surface. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch. Cut into 12 squares.
- Heat 3 inches of vegetable oil to 365F. Fry 25 seconds per side. Work in small batches and make sure your temperature is stable around 365F.
- Drain on paper towels. There shouldn't be much or any excess oil if you are keeping it at 365F. Dust with powdered sugar while warm.
- With a toothpick or skewer, make a hole in the side of each doughnut. With a pastry bag, spoon in your curd and fill the doughnuts.