I used to live by a yakitori restaurant that I (no joke) went to every week. I am addicted to the depth of flavor this sauce brings to anything it touches. Try this recipe with any veggies or meat and you will be happy you did.
Yakitori Style Grilled Chicken with Scallions and Asparagus
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 bunch of scallions cut in 1-inch chunks, greens and whites separated
- 1 lb. asparagus ends trimmed
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 bouillon cube or 1 tsp better than bouillon
- shichimi togarashi OR red pepper flakes
- Add the scallion greens, mirin, soy sauce, sake, bouillon and brown sugar to a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Lower to simmer. Simmer until reduced by 1/2.
- If using wooden skewers, soak skewers for 5 minutes in water. (Skewers aren't mandatory. You can grill the chicken without skewers.)
- Layer the chicken and scallions alternating (as you see in the photo) on the skewers. Sprinkle with the shichimi togarashi/red pepper flakes.
- The chicken: Grill for 10-12 minutes, flipping every 3-4 minutes. Brush with the yakitori sauce and cook for 2 more minutes.
- The asparagus: Grill for 8-10 minutes (until tender but still bright) brushing liberally with the yakitori sauce 2 minutes in.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.