This recipe was described to me as the most flavorful, quick and easy Libyan dish there is…and WOW, it really is simple and amazing.
Imbakbaka - Libyan Chicken Pasta Dish
This recipe was described to me as the most flavorful, quick and easy Libyan dish there is...and WOW, it really is simple and amazing.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1/2-1 lb. pasta I used shells
- 2-3 tbsp canola oil or other flavorless oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp caraway powder
- 2 tsp corriander powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- 3 jalapeños
- Bring 8 cups of water to boil in a kettle.
- Sautee the onion in the canola oil over medium-high heat until translucent.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides.
- Lower the temperature. Add the garlic, tomato paste, all the spices including salt & pepper, and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium high, add the 8 cups of hot water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for ~20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.
- Bring back to a boil and add 2 whole jalapeños and 1 sliced thinly, and the pasta. Add more boiling water if necessary.
- The pasta will take longer to cook than if cooking in water. As soon as it is cooked, enjoy!
Calories: 561kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 552mg | Potassium: 659mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 857IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 3mg