If you make this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, you will be SO happy you did. Inspired by the savory oatmeal I thoroughly enjoyed at Grandview Cafe in Oakland, CA.
Savory Miso Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 4-4.5 cups water
- 1-2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 lb. mushrooms shitake and matsuke are my favorite
- 1 avocado
- 4 poached or fried eggs
- chili oil use this recipe or buy in store
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Bring the water to boil.
- Add the oats and miso paste. Turn heat to low. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over high heat. Add the olive oil.
- When hot, add the mushrooms. Don't crowd the pan. Cook, without stirring, until the mushrooms are well browned, ~3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Give the mushrooms a good toss to turn them and then briefly sear on the other side.
- Add the oats to an individual bowl or deep plate. Top with a poached or fried egg, add 1/4 avocado, 1/4 of the mushrooms, and drizzle with the chili oil.