Iranian Adasi is a slow-simmered lentil soup enjoyed for breakfast, often on weekends. Garnish with fresh lime, fried onion, fresh herbs, and Persian Tea Eggs.
Why You Should Make this Recipe
This Iranian Adasi dish is a slow-simmered lentil soup traditionally enjoyed for breakfast. This recipe works as a filling and tasty meal because lentils are so high in fiber and protein. They’re quick, easy and amazing flavor-absorbers.
The soup itself is a blend of classic flavors: onion, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Simple yet so good, you should make this Adasi if you’re looking for a warm, hearty soup suitable for vegetarians or vegetarians.
It’s also an easy prep-ahead slow cooker meal and can be sized up or down to feed as many people as you like!
lentils - "adasi" means "lentils" and green lentils are traditionally used in this recipe, though it should work with any lentils.
water - you can use stock instead of water in this recipe, though the adasi develop great flavors with the spices and onion on it's own.
How to Make Adasi
Heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until translucent. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds-1 minute.
Add the washed adasi (lentils) and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to the lowest possible temperature.
Cook for a minimum of 8 hours. Monitor the water level and add more, if necessary.
Note: You can cook the lentils in a slow-cooker (Amazon link opens in a new tab) on the low setting. Monitor the water level to make sure the lentils don't get dry.
Smash some of the lentils against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon to thicken the soup. Serve warm with fresh limes and herbs, fried onions, and Persian Tea Eggs.
More Persian Favorites
I set out to learn all my favorite Persian family recipes with the help of my mom and Maman Joon (grandmother). My Farsi isn't fluent, so I created a Farsi Cooking Vocabulary Guide that you might find helpful if you're recreating your own family recipes and need some help. Here are some favorites:
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
- 2 cups green lentils washed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tbsp oil canola, avocado, or other flavorless oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt do not use table salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 6 cups water
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the diced onion until translucent.
- Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and cumin. Cook until fragrant, 30 seconds-1 minute.
- Add the washed lentils and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to the lowest possible temperature. Cook for a minimum of 8 hours. Monitor the water level and add more, if necessary.
- Smash some of the lentils against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon to thicken the soup. Serve warm.