If you roast your own pie pumpkins for a pumpkin pie filling, chances are you have some leftover roasted pumpkin to use up! Use any extra pumpkin in these cute mini pumpkin hand pies.
P.S. It's also the perfect way to reuse any leftover pie crust!
🌟Why you'll love this recipe
In the mood for more pie? Try these excellent bakes: Matcha and Chocolate French Silk Pie, Banana Coconut Cream Pie Cups, or this Perfect Cherry Pie Filling I love to make with a store-bought (or bakery bought) crust.
🧾Ingredients in this recipe
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
👩🍳How to Make This Recipe
📋Hand Pie FAQs
If you overfill your hand pie, the chances are that the filling will ooze out of the sides. This can also happen if the edges of the hand pie are not properly sealed. This can happen if you get filling under the crimped edge.
Hand pies and empanadas are both small pastries that can have sweet or savory fillings. Hand pies can be a catch-all way of describing small single-serve pies. Empanadas are more specifically found in Latin American, Spanish, and Filipino cuisines. They usually have a half-moon shape with crimped edges.
🍁 More Fall Dessert Ideas
It's the season to bake something delicious! Try these flawless fall recipes.
Mini Pumpkin Hand Pies
- 1 pie crust store bought works, the rolled frozen or refrigerated version at room temp
- 2 cups pie pumpkin usually 1-1.5 pie pumpkins, roasted or sub. 1 can pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg beatten, for the egg wash
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- If you're roasting your pumpkin from scratch, start by preheating your oven to 350°F with the rack in the lower half of the oven.
- Cut a pie pumpkin in half lengthwise, then scoop out all of the seeds. Place the cut side down on a baking sheet as shown. Bake pumpkin for 1 hour.
- When pumpkins are ready, let them cool to the point where you can touch them, then peel off all the skin.
- Add 2 cups of the roasted pumpkin to a food processor along with granulated sugar, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla to a food processor and blend it for 1 minute.
- Roll out your pre-made pie crust and cut out circles about 5-6 inches wide.
- Place about 2 tablespoon of filling on one side of the pie circle, and fold the dough over to seal it. You can crimp the edges by hand or with a fork. You can also use hand pie mold if you have them.
- Place the hand pies on a baking sheet and brush with an egg wash for an extra golden brown color.
- Bake the pumpkin hand pies for 28-32. Leave to cool slightly, then serve! You can even put a dusting of icing sugar on top for an extra sweet bite.