The fluffiest scones you will ever have! I am not a fan of the dense, even crunchy scone. I think scones need to be light and fluffy and these deliver! Inspired by Tyler Florence’s Mixed Berry Scones.
Cranberry Orange Scones with Orange Honey Butter
- 1 quart heavy cream
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup honey
- pinch salt
- ~1/2 lb. fresh cranberries
- 2 cups all‐purpose flour
- 1 tsp + 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 stick cold unsalted butter cubed
- 3/4 + cup buttermilk (leftover from orange butter)
Orange Honey Butter:
- Add the cream, zest of 1 orange, honey, and pinch of salt to a food processor. Run for 4-5 minutes, until the liquid separates. The solids are the butter you will use to spread on the scones, and the liquid is the buttermilk you will use in the scones.
- Strain over a bowl.
Cranberry Orange Scones:
- Preheat to 350F. Put the cranberries on a baking tray. Roast 20 minutes. Toss with 1 tsp of sugar. Set aside.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cold cubes of butter to a food processor. Pulse until it is the texture of breadcrumbs.
- Add the entire mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup buttermilk. Mix to combine. Add the cranberries. Gently fold together. It will not be a liquidy or tight mixture.
- Line a baking sheet. With a pastry brush, brush a small amount of buttermilk in the 6 spots you will put the scones. This will keep them from sticking.
- Do not over-handle the mixture. Gently mold into 6 scones. Place on your sheet pan. Brush the tops of each scone with more buttermilk.
- Bake 17-20 minutes.
- Let cook on a wire rack.
- Serve immediately!