This fresh ginger cake is irresistibly moist with a powerful ginger kick from the freshly grated ginger. If you love the fresh ginger flavor and want a cake recipe with incredible spiced flavor and zing, this cake is your dream come true!
🌟Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Want to make it extra special? Try this chocolate ginger cake with coconut & pecans.
🧾Ingredients in This Recipe
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
👩🍳How to Make This Recipe
If the temperature of your oven is too high, then your ginger cake will rise far too quickly. It will rise, then fall in the middle as the batter hasn't had time to cook to sustain the shape. Cake sinking also occurs if you open the oven door during the rising process and thus alter the temperature of the oven.
Yes! Mincing ginger yields the smoothest texture possible for this cake. Both mincing and grating allow the taste and aroma of the ginger to be released when baking.
There is a significant difference in potency between ground ginger and grated ginger. Grated ginger is around 70% water, so the ginger taste is mild and it can be used as-is in cooking. Ground ginger powder has been dried and the intensity of ginger flavor is about 10-20 times more enhanced than raw ginger root. This powder is commonly used in baking and is easy to overdo as it's so strong in flavor. Ground ginger also does not contain any water like fresh ginger does, so you cannot substitute one for the other in this recipe with the same results.
You can freeze your cake. It will also keep well in an airtight container for up to 1 week. To freeze, you must let your cake cool completely. Once cool, wrap in parchment paper and store in the freezer in an airtight container. Let thaw to room temperature when ready to eat again.
Gingerbread and ginger cake differ in texture and preparation. Gingerbread refers is a dense, spiced cookie or biscuit with a strong ginger flavor, usually cut into shapes and decorated. Ginger cake is a moist, soft cake that incorporates ginger and other spices for flavor.
😋 Related Recipes
These sweet desserts are the perfect indulgence to make the next time you bake!
Fresh Ginger Cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup dark molasses
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup freshly grated ginger
- 4 tablespoon butter melted in in a saucepan with ½ cup of water
- Butter and flour an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift your flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix your brown sugar, molasses, egg, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add your melted butter/water mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Add the batter to your baking dish*. Bake 30-35 minutes. It is ready when a toothpick comes out clean. Start checking at 28 minutes for a 9x9 pan, and at 32 minutes for 8x8.
- Let cool on a rack. Best if cooled overnight.