You better like ginger for this one…I use an entire cup of freshly grated ginger, and that gingery spiciness is just spectacular. And let’s go ahead and call i good for you…the ginger is is great for your body and brain, and the dark molasses contains heme-iron which makes it easy for your body to absorb the iron.
Fresh Ginger Root Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 cup freshly grated ginger
- 4 tbsp butter melted in in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water
- Butter and flour a 9x9 baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sift your flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix your brown sugar, molasses, egg, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Add your melted butter/water mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Add the batter to your baking dish. Bake 30-35 minutes. It is ready when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack. Best if cooled overnight.