A dairy free matcha pudding sure to satisfy that matcha craving, pudding craving, sweets craving, and officially my favorite way to get in a caffeine fix. This kid-friendly homemade green tea pudding is delicious, and great everything from dinner parties to weeknight desserts! Also, I'm sharing how keeping this matcha pudding in my refrigerator helped turn a terrible day into a great one.
Dairy Free Matcha Pudding
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 2/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup culinary matcha powder
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Whisk 3 cups of the coconut milk & turbinado sugar in a ceramic or anodized stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- In the meantime, add 1 cup milk, the arrowroot powder, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla in a medium to large bowl.
- Temper the egg mixture by whisking while slowly adding the coconut milk mixture.
- Add the entire mixture to a blender. Add the matcha powder. Blend on low until combined and smooth.
- Pour entire mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly over medium-high heat.
- When it comes to a full boil you will notice the mixture thickening. Reduce the heat to simmer and continue whisking until thick (~3 minutes).
- Split between 8 cups/bowls/ramekins. (Optional: cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap. I don't do this because I like the film that forms on top of the pudding. Try both and see which you like.)
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
How this dairy free matcha pudding saved the day...
I'm sitting on my couch on a weekday during work hours. Why? This morning was one of those mornings. It all started when I slept through my alarm. Then, I got a flat tire on the way to work. Finally, to top it all off, the ride share service I use had a 30 minute wait. So I decided to do a quick reframe. As a result of the craziness, I decided to work from home. Then, I grabbed myself a dairy free matcha pudding out of my refrigerator and enjoyed my homemade pudding while taking some deep breaths. Finally, I decided that today was going to be a great day! Why have a bad day when I can have a good one?
My favorite way to store the homemade pudding...
I love storing homemade pudding in little individually portioned jars. Then, I get to grab a jar on my way to work and enjoy it as a mid-morning or afternoon snack!
Which kind of matcha do I use in the green tea pudding?
I use culinary grade matcha for this recipe. You do not need to use the higher grade ceremonial matcha in recipes with additives like sweetener or adaptogens. However, I do love to enjoy ceremonial grade matcha in traditional matcha.
Looking for more matcha recipes?
Click here to peruse all my matcha recipes. Some of my favorites:
- Matcha Peanut Butter Cups
- Macaron Matcha Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Matcha Chia Pudding
- Matcha Ice Cream
- Dark Chocolate & Matcha Mouse Sandwiches
- Matcha Latte
- (Boba) Matcha Bubble Tea
- Matcha Crème Brûlée
I earn from qualifying Mizuba Tea Co. purchases. All opinions are mine alone.