Matcha in a creamy milkshake is the BEST combination. If you like matcha lattes and matcha desserts, this green tea treat will be perfect for you! I'm showing you how to make an easy matcha milkshake with either vanilla ice cream or my homemade green tea ice cream. Both versions are easy and incredible!
🌟Why you'll love this recipe
🧾Ingredients in this recipe
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
🍨 Recipe FAQs
There are 3 culprits for a watery milkshake. One is adding too much liquid like milk. Two is using ice cream was too melted at the time it was used. And three, is over-blending the milkshake.
It may not be blended thoroughly enough, or you may have used too little milk.
For all multi-ingredient recipes using Matcha powder, you only need culinary-grade matcha powder to create the best result. Ceremonial grade matcha powder is a higher grade but it should only be used with water to make classic 2-ingredient matcha tea.
If your milkshake is too thick and it's hard to get up your straw, you can blend in a little bit more milk until it's a more runny texture.
🍵 Related Recipes
I have a goldmine of matcha recipes for you to make and love!
With Green Tea Ice Cream
- 1.5 teaspoon matcha powder culinary grade
- 3 tablespoon milk dairy or non-dairy, plus more if needed
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream 1.5 cups, see notes if using matcha ice cream*
- Whisk together the matcha powder and 3 tablespoons of milk or non-dairy milk to remove all clumps. Add to a blender.
- Add the ice cream to a blender, and blend until just incorporated. Do not over-blend or it will get runny. See notes.**If using matcha ice cream, add 3 tablespoons of milk or non-dairy milk to help blend the milkshake.
- Pour into your favorite milkshake glass and add a milkshake straw. Optional: Top with whipped cream and a dusting of matcha powder.