Naturally sweetened with Medjool dates, a date shake is the perfect indulgence! I'm showing you how to make it with homemade vanilla date ice cream, or with store-bought vanilla ice cream. Both are equally delicious!
🌟Why you'll love this recipe
🧾Ingredients in this recipe
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Optional: Top with whipped cream, chocolate flakes, crushed nuts, or any other toppings you like!
Medjool dates originate from Morocco and are primarily grown in the Middle East, North Africa, and the United States (California and Arizona). They're popular in sweet recipes due to their sweet, rich flavor, and chewy texture.
Date shakes originated in the Coachella Valley in Southern California. This popular shake is said to have been created in the 1930s or 1940s, as that region has lots of date palm groves. You can get versions of this in the area still.
Medjool dates do tend to be expensive due to limited availability, as significant time and labor are needed to pick them. Another reason is that it costs a lot to transport them to other countries. Medjool dates are known for the best quality and rich flavor, so are also more expensive as they are in high demand.
if you ever want to thicken a milkshake you can either increase the amount of ice cream or reduce the amount of milk in the shake.
🍨 Related Recipes
I've got plenty of refreshing drinks and sweets to cool you off and inject some sweetness into your day!
3-Ingredient Date Shake
- ½ cup Medjool dates rough chopped & seeded
- ¼ cup milk dairy or non-dairy, plus more if needed
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream 1.5 cups or see notes if using vanilla date ice cream*
- 1 pinch cinnamon optional
- Roughly chop the dates.
- Add the chopped dates and the milk to a blender and run until smooth.
- Add the ice cream to the blender, and blend until just incorporated. Do not over-blend or it will get runny. See notes.**If using vanilla date ice cream, add 3 tablespoons of milk or non-dairy milk to help blend the milkshake.
- Pour into your favorite milkshake glass and add a milkshake straw. Optional: top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate, crushed nuts