This winter salad will inspire you to include herbs in all the salads you make. They enhance the flavors of all the other fruits and veggies in the bowl creating a flavor explosion you weren’t expecting! While the cactus pear can be intimidating to use because of their hard seeds, sometimes all it takes to get creative with new ingredients is to know how to use them. As soon as you extract that sweet juice, you will want to use them in everything. If you can't find them, grab some raspberries...they make a great substitution!
Grapefruit, Fennel, & Herb Salad with Cactus Pear Vinaigrette
- 1 cactus pear quartered & peeled OR a handful of fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
For the salad:
- 8 cups red leaf lettuce
- 1 fennel bulb shaved on a mandolin (fronds reserved and removed from stem)
- 1 grapefruit segmented
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves chiffonade
- 1 handful of fresh basil basil leaves chiffonade
- Blend together the dressing ingredients. Strain to remove the cactus pear (or raspberry) seeds.
- Toss the greens with the dressing. Top with the grapefruit segments, fresh mint, and basil.