A simple chickpea fennel chicken traybake made in one pan with the most delicious Middle-Eastern spices that will quickly become one of your weeknight go-to's. Marinade tonight, and you'll have the best dinner ever tomorrow. This recipe is not just easy, but makes for easy clean-up!
One Pan Chicken with Step by Step Photo Instructions
Add the onion, garlic, oil, and spices to a large bowl (photo 1). Mix well (photo 2). Add the chicken. Mix well and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator (photo 3).
Take the chicken out of the refrigerator so it can come to room temperature. Preheat your oven to 425F.
Add the potatoes and fennel to a sheet pan or baking dish. Top with the chicken (with everything on it). Toss to coat. Make sure the chicken is sitting on top of the vegetables (see photo below).
Cook for 30 minutes. Add the chickpeas. Lightly oil with cooking spray. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes. Internal temperature should read 165F. Check with an instant thermometer.
Tent and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
More One Pan Chicken Dinners
If you like this one-pan chicken recipe, you'll also love these:
- Orange & Bell Pepper Chicken Traybake with Sweet Potatoes
- Balsamic Chicken with Red Onion & Kalamata Olives
- Wine Roasted One Pan Chicken with Veggies & Potatoes
Or peruse all my poultry recipes here!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, and PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m up to.
Chickpea & Fennel Chicken Traybake
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs OR 1 whole chicken
- 1 yellow onion peeled, and diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon corriander
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup flavorless oil like sunflower seed or canola
- salt and pepper
- 1-1.5 lbs small potatoes sliced in half, large ones quartered
- 2 fennel bulbs trimmed and sliced into 8 wedges each
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed, (peeled is optional)
- Add the onion, garlic, oil, and spices to a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add the chicken. Mix well and marinate the chicken for 30 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Take the chicken out of the refrigerator. Preheat to 425F.
- Add the potatoes and fennel to a sheet pan or baking dish. Top with the chicken (with everything on it). Toss to coat. Make sure the chicken is sitting on top of the vegetables.
- Cook for 30 minutes. Add the chickpeas. Lightly oil with cooking spray. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes. Internal temperature should read 165F.
- Tent and let rest 5-10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in October of 2017, but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions, and tips October of 2019.
This has got to be one of my favorite hearty recipes you've shared so far. Everything about it sends me to a place of warmth and goodness. YUM! Can't wait to make it again.
Oh yay! It's one of hubby's favorites... so glad you like it!
I couldn't wait to give this a try. I have recently fallen in love with chickpeas and I was certain this would be a hit. So I made it for dinner, everyone loved it, and we are already talking about making it again. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It's going into the regular rotation.
That is music to my ears, Jacque! So glad to hear you enjoyed it and will be making it again. It's in our regular rotation to, and such a hit with guests!
I love one pan meals ..You have some many wonderful flavors merged together. My kitchen smelled amazing. I loved that you used chicken thighs, it is my fave. This is the perfect easy weeknight meal.
Thanks, Debbie! So glad to hear you enjoyed it... the smell really is something else!
What a great traybake! I am a huge fan of fennel, nto only because it's delicious, but it offers such tremendous aromatics. This Chickpea fennel chicken traybake smells wonderful coming out of the oven and tastes even more delicious than it smells!
Thank you so much for sharing with me, Jenni! It's a favorite around here... so glad to hear you enjoyed it!