This rosemary garlic rainbow trout is a great flavorful fish recipe that uses the whole trout when cooking. I like to have easy and tasty fish recipes on hand that don't use the classic Salmon, Tuna, and Cod, as it adds more variety. It’s quick to prepare and make and cooks for less than 15 minutes.
Why this Recipe Works
Rosemary and garlic are an incredible flavor match. The key to infusing them into the trout is the method of cutting into the flesh of the fish prior to cooking.
The trout has a mild flavor that takes on the peppery pine of the rosemary and the strong, pungent garlic brilliantly.
The insertion of lemon slices into the fish cavity adds a wonderful, light citrus note which cuts through the other stronger flavors for a well-balanced bite.
whole rainbow trout - this recipe uses a whole, gutted, rainbow trout. Depending on the weight, you will either need one or two whole trout.
How to Make this Recipe
Pre-heat the oven to 390F. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
You can watch me make this whole recipe in this Rosemary Garlic Rainbow Trout video story.
Cut 5 deep slits on each side of the fish. Do not go through the spine or to the other half of the fish.
Cut the rosemary into sections that will fit inside each of the slits you cut. Place one piece of rosemary inside each of the cuts in the fish. Place 2-3 slices of garlic in each slit. Season each cut with salt.
Slice 1 lemon into 5-6 slices and place the slices of lemon inside the fish.
Drizzle the outside of the fish with olive oil and sprinkle salt on both sides. Bake 13-15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish.
Note: It is ready when you gently pull on a fin and it comes out easily.
Skin (or not) and serve! Once you filet the fish on one side, the spine comes out easily and the other side is ready to eat!
Rainbow Trout FAQs
It isn't fishy in the same way salmon isn't fishy, but has a milder flavor. Also, the texture is similar to salmon.
Yes, as long as the scales are fully removed.
More Delicious Fish
If you love this fish recipe, you'll love one of these favorites:
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Rosemary Garlic Rainbow Trout
- 2 lbs. Whole trout gutted and scaled
- 1 lemon
- 5 sprigs of rosemary cut inot ~3-in pieces
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced lenghtwise
- 1-2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 390F. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up.
- Cut at least 5 deep slits on each side of the fish. Do not go through the spine or to the other half of the fish.
- Cut the rosemary into sections that will fit inside each of the slits you cut. Place one piece of rosemary inside the each of the slits cut in the fish. Place 2-3 slices of garlic in each slit. Season each cut with salt.
- Slice 1 lemon into 5-6 slices. Place the slices of lemon inside the fish.
- Drizzle olive oil and generously season with salt on both sides of the fish.
- Cook 13-15 minutes. It is ready when you pull a fin and it comes out easily.
- Skin (or not) and serve! Once you filet the fish on one side, the spine comes out easily and the other side is ready to eat!
This post was originally published in January of 2017 but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions, FAQs, and tips in January of 2021.