This risotto takes me back to when we were living in France for 2 months - we found a $3 bottle of white Bordeaux that elevated the risotto we had been making for years. So we went crazy and added more wine...we must have made risotto with it every week. Now this dish is full of love, delicious wine, and memories.
Mushroom & Pea Risotto
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. mushrooms I used crimini in the photo
- 1 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine I use white bordeaux
- 3 cups chicken stock vege stock works, too
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated AND/OR parmesan shavings for garnish
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- Heat the broth on the stove, lower to simmer and leave on.
- In the meantime, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sautee until translucent (5-10 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender ~5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir constantly ~2 minutes. Raise the heat to medium high.
- Deglaze with the white wine. Lower back to medium once it begins to boil. Stir constantly. Cook down until there is barely any liquid.
- Add 1 ladle of stock and cook down, stirring continuously, until there is barely any liquid. Repeat until the rice is cooked al dente.
- Take off the heat. Immediately stir in the peas, grated parmesan, season with salt and pepper.
- Top with parmesan shavings and serve.