My take on a Jewish classic…I use less meat, more flavor, and mine is spicy instead of the usual sweet!
My take on a Jewish classic...I use less meat, more flavor, and mine is spicy instead of the usual sweet!
- 1 lb. ground bison beef, turkey, or chicken
- 3/4 cup uncooked 10-minute farro
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1-2 jalapeños minced
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head of green cabbage
- 1 jar spicy pasta sauce arrabbiata
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1/2 jar water use the pasta sauce jar
- Fill a very large stockpot three-quarters full with water and bring to a rapid boil.
- In the meantime, make deep cuts around the core of the large cabbage so you can remove the core.
- Add the cabbage to the boiling water core side down.
- In the meantime, mix all the items for the filling and put back in the refrigerator.
- Flip the cabbage with tongs. Try to gently remove the outer layers of cabbage with the tongs from the core side. If they come off the cabbage head easily, go ahead and remove them. Transfer them to a large cutting board or work surface. Remove them one at a time as they are ready to come off. You need 8 large, untorn leaves.
- Remove the rest of the cabbage from the water and set aside.
- Split your filling into 8 portions. Stuff each large cabbage leaf with 3/4 cup of the filling, roll very tightly along the spine, and close both sides by tucking them in with your fingers like a burrito. The spine should be vertical in the center of roll.
- Chop the leftover cabbage. Stir the 4 cups of chopped cabbage, garlic, jalapeño and 1/2 jar of water into the sauce. Pour 3/4 inch of the sauce into your slow cooker. Place the cabbage rolls on top of the layer of sauce, and pour the remainder of the sauce over them to cover.
- Cover and turn on high for 2 1/2-3 hours. Reheats well in the slow cooker!
Calories: 501kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 161mg | Sodium: 1028mg | Potassium: 953mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 417IU | Vitamin C: 96mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 5mg