This simple recipe can be made ahead! Roll into balls, freeze on a baking sheet, and store in a sealed container in the freezer. Let them defrost at room temperature for 30 minutes before you roll them in the sugar.
Ginger Cardamom Ghee Tea Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick unsalted butter turned into ghee
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar
- ⅓ cup molasses
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- more turbinado sugar for rolling
- Place the stick of butter in a heavy-bottomed pan. Melt over medium-low heat. The butter will separate into whey, clear butter, and milk fat. The whey is on top, clear butter in the middle, and the milk fat sinks to the bottom. Let it cool almost back to room temperature before you skim off the whey because it is easier to skim when cooled. Once the whey is skimmed off, gently pour out the clear butter, and discard the milk solids on the bottom. The ghee is the clear butter.
- Preheat to 375F.
- Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg, butter, both sugars, and molasses in a large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Roll 1-tbsp sized balls of dough and place on a flat surface. (Freeze the one’s you don’t want to use today on a baking sheet, and store in a sealed container in the freezer. Let them defrost at room temperature for 30 minutes before you roll them in the sugar.)
- Roll in raw or turbinado sugar and place on parchment-lined baking sheets ~2-inches apart.
- Bake 4 minutes. Rotate pan. Bake another 4-6 minutes, until cookies are puffed and cracked.
- Cool on wire racks.