With few ingredients left in the pantry, these purple sweet potato & cabbage dumplings are more than a treat. Works with any sweet potato and any cabbage...but is always perfectly delicious. I'm talking sweet, savory, salty, and optionally spicy perfection. Are you in?
I always keep wonton wrappers in my freezer and it always pay off. When I have just a few things left in the pantry, I know wontons are on the menu that week. Just defrost in the refrigerator overnight. If you forget to defrost them overnight, they also defrost at room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
Make more than you need!
I love to make extra and freeze them. Freeze them on a baking sheet or cutting board and transfer to a zipper bag. The only difference is to add two minutes to the cooking time. Pretty simple, huh?
Which wrappers do I buy?
NOTE: Do not buy spring roll wrappers. Buy wonton, gyoza, or dumpling wrappers. I prefer the round dumpling wrappers because I still haven't figured out how to fold the square ones, but the square ones taste the same.
Purple Sweet Potato & Cabbage Dumplings
- 2 lbs purple sweet potatoes or regular sweet potatoes
- 3 cups napa cabbage finely diced
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or other flavorless oil
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp pepper I use a white/black pepper mix
- 2 tsp avocado oil or other flavorless oil
- 3 tbsp Shaoxing wine Sherry wine, or Marsala wine
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 package wonton wrappers round or square
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- chili oil serve on the side
- Peel your potatoes. Cut them into 2 inch chunks. Add them to a pot. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Lower to simmer. Cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 5-8 minutes. Drain. Mash well. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tbsp of flavorless oil in your large pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add your, scallion whites, garlic, and cabbage. Cook until the onion whites start to get translucent and the cabbage is tender, 5-8 minutes..
- Transfer your pan contents to a bowl with the mashed potatoes. Add your scallion greens, pepper, olive oil, wine, and soy sauce. Mix well.
- Fill each wonton wrapper with 1 tbsp of filling. Pleat or fold as you please. If you're having trouble getting the wrappers to stick to themselves, you can use water a touch of water around the edges of the wonton wrapper.
- Steam for 6 minutes until the wonton wrapper is cooked.
- Dipping sauce: Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
Don't let the dumpling folding intimidate you. If you don't want to pleat the dumplings, just fold them in half and press together the edges. Use a touch of water around the edges of the wonton wrapper to help with the seal.
How to get the smoothest potatoes...
Use a food mill to mash the potatoes. It yields a smoother filling, but mashing them other ways works just fine.
What do purple sweet potatoes taste like?
They taste like yams. Slightly sweeter than regular sweet potatoes.
Above and below are the dumplings before they are cooked.
Once the dumplings are cooked, the wrapper becomes translucent and the beautiful purple color shows through.
And you're left with beautiful purple dumplings.
Click here to check out how I use the wonton wrappers to make Spinach Mushroom Wonton Ravioli with Pesto . Or, you can check out another one of my dumpling recipes here!