A HUGE thank you to my mother-in-law for introducing me to pickled watermelon rind, and to her sister for hooking me up with a recipe. I've adapted the recipe to create the balance of sugar, vinegar, and spices that I enjoy and it's just the relish you want at your next summer bbq.
Pickled Watermelon Rind
- 7 lbs watermelon rind peeled and cut into desired lengths
- 7 cups sugar
- 1 pint vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Soak the rind in slightly salted water over night.
- Boil the rind in the salt water until it can be pierced with a fork.
- Boil the sugar, vinegar, cloves, and cinnamon and pour over the rind.
- Let stand over night.
- Drain, reserving the liquid.
- Heat the syrup and pour over rind.
- Let stand overnight.
- Heat the syrup with the rind until it comes to a boil.
- Put in jars and seal!