Homemade pudding. Need I say more? Totally worth it. You can easily cut this recipe in half, but why? It’s the perfect recipe…I use turbinado sugar instead of granulated and arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. That makes it healthy, right?
- 1 quart whole milk
- 3/4-1 cup turbinado
- 2/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 8 tsp arrowroot
- 6 large egg yolks
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: 3/4 cup whipped cream
- Whisk 3 cups of milk, turbinado, and cocoa in a ceramic or anodized stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Whisk 1 cup milk, arrowroot, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla in a medium to large bowl.
- Temper the egg mixture by whisking while slowly adding the cocoa mixture.
- Pour entire mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly over medium-high.
- When it comes to a full boil you will notice the mixture thickening. Reduce the heat to simmer and continue whisking until thick (~3 minutes).
- Split between 8 cups/bowls/ramekins. (Optional: cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap. I don't do this because I like the film that forms on top of the pudding. Try both and see which you like.)
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- Optional: Serve with whipped cream