Steamed Vegetarian Dumplings Recipe
Grab a little bit of all your veggies and you can make these easy, awesome (any) veggie dumplings that are a little bit different every time.
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 3 tbsp flavorless oil like sunflower seed oil
- 1 tbsp ginger freshly grated
- 1 bunch scallion thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz. mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 large carrots or 3 medium, finely chopped
- ~3 oz. alfalfa sprouts roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp pepper (I use a white/black pepper mix)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp Shaoxing, Sherry, or Marsala wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 package wonton wrappers round or square
- 1/2 cup black vinegar or use rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- chili oil serve on the side
Heat 3 tbsp of flavorless oil in your large pan over medium to medium-high heat.
Add your ginger, scallion whites, and garlic. Cook until the onion whites start to get translucent.
Add the mushrooms. Cook until liquid has released from the mushrooms.
Add your carrots. Cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
Transfer your pan contents to a mixing bowl. Add your sprouts, cilantro, scallion greens, pepper, olive oil, wine, sugar, and soy sauce. Mix well.
Fill each wonton wrapper with ~2 tsp of filling. Pleat or fold as you please. If you're having trouble getting the wrappers to stick to themselves, you can use water or egg wash.
Steam for 6 minutes until the wonton wrapper is cooked.
These dumplings freeze VERY well. Freeze them on a baking sheet, then transfer them to a sealed container like a resealable bag. Steam frozen dumplings for 8 minutes instead of 6.
You can cook the filling, and refrigerate it 2-3 days in advance.
Make sure you chop your veggies up very small.
Be careful not to overfill or the wrappers will tear
Do not lay too many wrappers out at once or they will dry out and crack.
Calories: 510kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 1931mg | Potassium: 464mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6105IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 77mg | Iron: 4.9mg