Pho is a heartwarming and incredibly flavorful Vietnamese noodle soup that traditionally uses noodles, broth, beef and an assortment of vegetables. This pho recipe is a vegan interpretation that keeps all of the authentic flavor with nutritious ingredients.
Vegan Pho Ingredients
This vegan pho uses ingredients you can find in your average grocery store.
Vegetarian/Vegan Pho Recipe - Step by Step with Photos
This recipe is an all-in-one easy pho recipe that's ideal for a weeknight dinner. The hot broth soaks up the flavor of the vegetables and spices, making it an effortlessly delicious and nutritious meal.
Start with the star anise, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns in a large pot over low heat. Combine the spices and lightly cook until fragrant. It will be quick - it should only take about 30 seconds.
Once the spices are aromatic, add in the vegetable stock, a pinch of sugar, ginger, fennel, bay leaves, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and scallions. Simmer the broth for 20 minutes. Strain the ingredients from the liquid and return the liquid back to the pot. Keep the broth hot until ready to serve the pho.
To prepare the vermicelli noodles, place them in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Soak the noodles until they are just tender - start checking the noodles after 3 minutes of soaking to make sure they are the right texture. Once cooked, drain the noodles, then rinse with cold water to cool them. Return the noodles to the bowl, add enough cold water to cover them completely, and let sit until you’re ready to serve them.
Next, add your sweet baby broccoli (aka broccolini) to the simmering stock and cook them until tender. This should take around 5-8 minutes.
To serve, divide the noodles evenly between four bowls. Ladle the Pho broth into each bowl over the cooked rice noodles. Top each bowl with two sweet baby broccoli pieces and carrots. Garnish the dishes with the lime slices, radish sprouts, cilantro, basil, sriracha, chili peppers, more soy sauce, and soft-boiled eggs. Now enjoy your incredible pho!
Have extra broth? You can easily freeze them using these silicone soup freezing trays.
More Broth Based Soups
If you love this pho recipe, you'll love these other broth-based soups, too!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Simple Vegetarian Pho with Broccoli
- 2 quarts vegetable stock or broth
- Pinch sugar
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- ¼ cup soy sauce or sub. coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4- inches ginger fresh
- 1 fennel quartered
- 10 ounces thin rice vermicelli
- 8 sweet baby broccoli
- 1 cup carrots julienne
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch fresh basil or Thai basil
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- In a large pot over low heat, combine the star anise, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the vegetable stock, pinch of sugar, ginger, fennel, bay leaves, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and scallions. Simmer for 20 minutes, then strain everything out and return the liquid back to the pot. Keep hot until ready to serve.
- In the meantime, put the rice vermicelli in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Soak until the noodles are barely tender - start checking after 3 minutes. Drain the noodles, then rinse them with cold water to cool them down. Return the noodles to the bowl, add enough cold water to cover, and let sit until you’re ready to serve them.
- Add the sweet baby broccoli to the stock and cook until tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Divide the noodles between 4 bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls over the cooked rice noodles. Top with 2 sweet baby broccoli per bowl and carrots. Serve with the lime slices, radish sprouts, cilantro, basil, sriracha, chili peppers, more soy sauce, and soft-boiled eggs.