Forget the pie crust, this sour cherry honey galette is puffed up and ready to change your mind about how you galette. It has just the right amount of sweetness, is completely delicious, and shockingly simple.
What is a galette?
A galette is a rustic version of a pie, but without all the work and equipment. All you need for this sour cherry & honey galette is a bowl, and a baking sheet. You can even approximate the other ingredients.
Step by step Sour cherry galette
In a bowl, mix together the sour cherries, honey, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
Roll out the puff pastry until it is about ¼ inch thick. You can use a wine bottle if you do not have a rolling pin.
Pour the cherry mixture into the center of the puff pastry leaving ~1-inch border. Fold over the puff pastry edges over the cherries (photos 1-3). Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg wash (photo 4).
Bake 25-30 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
Pie crust vs. puff pastry for galette
Once you try this galette with puff pastry, you'll forget why you ever wanted to make it with pie crust! It puffs up beautifully, is perfectly flaky, and adds a crunch you can only get with puff pastry.
Why use sour cherries?
I love cherries, and cherry desserts always end up too sweet for me. These tart sour cherries make all the difference! But be prepared for a race to the sour cherries, if you don't act quickly, they disappear off the shelves quicker than a blink of an eye, and then you are stuck waiting until next year.
Where to find sour cherries
Sour cherry season is short, but I try to get my hands on as many as possible. Try the farmers market or a middle eastern grocery store. I always have my family on the lookout, and this year my mom surprised me with a VERY impressive bounty...thanks, mom!! And thanks for introducing me to these treats...I just love all your stories about playing under the sour cherry tree when you were a little girl.
Sour cherry galette tips and tricks
- Take this recipe to another level by serving it with your favorite vanilla ice cream. I love it with my vanilla date ice cream.
- To take extra precaution in preventing a soggy bottom on your galette, place your baking sheet on top of a pre-heated baking steel. Purchase one here! I use it for pies, galettes, pizza, and even fresh-baked bread. Sometimes store-bought puff pastry can yield a soggy bottom in my pies, and this has completely solved the issue for me.
- This recipe also works with regular cherries if you're looking for something sweeter.
Fruit galette equipment
Looking for more sour cherry recipes?
Looking for more desserts? Check them out here!
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!★
Sour Cherry & Honey Galette
- Preheat to 375F. Line your aluminum baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- In a bowl, mix together the sour cherries, honey, arrowroot powder, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
- Roll out the puff pastry until it is about ¼ inch thick. You can use a wine bottle if you do not have a rolling pin. Using a fork, you can poke holes in the center area of the puff pastry to avoid extra puffing in this area.
- Pour the cherry mixture into the center of the puff pastry leaving ~1-inch border. Fold over the puff pastry edges over the cherries.
- Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until the puff pastry is golden brown.
This post was originally published in August of 2018, but was republished with new photos, step by step instructions, tips, and a video August of 2019.