Last updated on February 22nd, 2018 at 07:10 pm
Feeling fancy? Smoked salmon salad with beet hummus, toasted pumpkin seeds, barley, and a simple vinaigrette. Bursts of color and layers of flavor. Inspired by a decadent gathering at Nopa SF.
Smoked Salmon Salad with Roasted Beet Hummus, Pumpkin Seeds, Barley, and a Simple Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup roasted beet hummus
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup barley cooked in stock or water per package instructions
- 8-10 oz. smoked salmon
- 1 head frisée or similar lettuce washed and trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
Roasted Beet Hummus:
If you are roasting your own beets, trim the stem, drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil, and bake at 350 for ~45 minutes. Then allow to cool and peel.
In a food processor combine the chick peas and their liquids, garlic, sesame seeds, beets, olive oil and salt.
Process for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Add the juice of 1/2 lemon. Process for 1 minute. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary (and add the rest of the lemon juice if desired).
Process 1 more minute. (Add water a little at a time to get to the consistency you want.)
- Whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix with the frisée.
- Smear 1-2 tbsp roasted beet hummus on the bottom of your bowl.
- Spoon 1/4 cup barley next to the hummus.
- Layer with smoked salmon, frisée, and top with a tablespoon of toasted pumpkin seeds.