While the cactus pear can be intimidating to use because of their hard seeds, sometimes all it takes to get creative with new ingredients is to know how to use them. As soon as you extract that sweet juice, you will want to use them in everything. This slow cooker cactus pear chicken with broccoli rabe brings the perfect combination of flavors and fall-off-the-bone comfort.
Slow-Cooker Cactus Pear Chicken with Broccoli Rabe
- 4 bone-in chicken leg quarters
- 5-6 cactus pears quartered & peeled
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe large stems removed
- 1 orange juiced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Remove and discard the skin from the chicken. Arrange the chicken in an even layer in the slow cooker.
- Add the cactus pears to a blender or food processor. Run until smooth. Strain to remove seeds.
- Mix together the cactus pear juice, orange juice, lime juice, agave, garlic, oregano, chili powder, and salt in a medium bowl and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover and cook 3-4 hours on low.
- Add the broccolini to the slow cooker on top of the chicken. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bone, 1 more hour on low.
- Optional: Transfer the liquid from the slow-cooker to a saucepan. Simmer until reduced by half. Pour over the chicken. Enjoy!