This dairy-free portabella mushroom & pesto egg-in-a-hole is a crazy easy breakfast, brunch, or weeknight dinner. I'm going through a pesto phase right now...it is delicious on everything! Plus, I am answering the question...is it portabella or portobello?
First, roast your mushrooms for 15 minutes. Make sure you lightly greased under the mushroom as well as on top. I like to use avocado oil cooking spray to make sure I don't over oil the mushrooms. Remember, mushrooms are a sponge and will absorb whatever you put on them!
Next, fill the inside of your mushroom caps with the pesto. Make sure there is a concave space in the middle of the mushroom cap for the egg.
Then, crack your egg into the center of the mushroom cap. Bake for another ~8 minutes until the egg white is cooked.
Finally, season with salt & pepper. If you want to make these portabella mushroom fried eggs extra special, serve with hot sauce or pickled jalapeños.
Is it portabella or portobello?
Both! Both spellings and pronunciations are considered acceptable. And this mushroom & pesto egg-in-a-hole is officially my favorite way to use them!
Looking for More Mushroom & Fried Egg Recipes?
Some of my favorites:
- Frittata with Dandelion Greens, Cherry Tomatoes, Mushrooms, and Serrano Pepper (or Chili Oil)
- Spinach & Mushroom Ravioli
- Mushroom & Pea Risotto
- Mushroom & Jalapeño Pizza
- Savory Miso Oatmeal with Fried Egg
Portabella Mushroom & Pesto Egg-in-a-Hole
- 4 large portabella mushrooms stems removed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or other flavorless oil
- 4 oz. fresh basil stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & cut in half
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 eggs
- pickled jalapeños or hot sauce (optional)
- Preheat to 450F.
- Place the mushrooms, gill side up, on a baking sheet. lightly oil the top and bottom. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, make your pesto. Add the basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt & pepper to a food processor. With the processor running, pour in your 1/4 cup of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pull your mushrooms out of the oven and add a spoonful of pesto to the inside of each mushroom cap. Use the back of the spoon to make a concave cup in the pesto. Crack an egg into the pesto. Return to the oven for ~8 minutes, when the egg white is opaque and cooked.
- Remove from oven, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately. Serve with pickled jalapeños or hot sauce!