I’ve tried so many paella recipes and they all have one thing in common…not enough flavor! I have created the perfect paella recipe packed with flavor and it’s what you should make for dinner tonight.
- 1 lb. mahi-mahi works with salmon, swordfish, opah, and more
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 vine tomato diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 tbsp hot water
- 1 cup paella rice
- 1.5 cups wine I perfer white bordeaux, but works with white and red
- 1.5 cups stock vegetable or chicken, plus more if necessary
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley optional, for garnish
- Heat the broth on the stove, lower to simmer and leave on.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Steep the saffron in the hot water.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent (5-10 minutes).
- Add the tomato, paprika, chipotle powder, turmeric, saffron with water, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender ~5 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir constantly ~2 minutes. Raise the heat to medium high.
- Deglaze with the white wine. Lower back to medium once it begins to boil. Stir constantly. Cook down until there is barely any liquid.
- Add 1.5 cups stock and cook down, stirring continuously for ~15 minutes on low. Add more liquid if it gets too dry.
- Nestle the fish inside the rice. Cook covered on the lowest setting for ~12 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Immediately stir in the peas, and season with salt and pepper.