This lemon & herb fusilli with broccoli rabe, fennel, & sausage is easy enough for a weeknight dinner…A refreshing lemon & herb pasta that is tangy, creamy, and packed with nutrients! Also, I’m sharing how to cook broccoli rabe and how to cook packaged sausage!
Lemon & Herb Fusilli with Broccoli Rabe, Fennel, & Sausage
- 1 lb. fusilli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup Parmesan + shavings
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
- ¼ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe trimmed
- 1 fennel cut into 8ths & roasted
- 4 sausages
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400F and bring a pot of water to boil for your pasta.
- In a medium bowl, add your olive oil, ⅔ cup grated parmesan, lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, basil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix well. Add more salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook your sausage per the package.
- Add the broccoli rabe and fennel to a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 12 minutes. Remove the broccoli rabe from the baking sheet. Set aside. Cook your fennel an additional 10 minutes.
- Add your fusilli to the boiling water and cook according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime, slice your sausages in ¼ inch thick slices, and chop your broccoli rabe in 3-inch chunks.
- Reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Drain your pasta when cooked.
- Add the lemon mixture to your pasta. Toss to coat. Add ¼ cup of water at a time to moisten. Toss in your broccoli rabe, fennel, & sausage.
- To serve, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and add parmesan shavings.
How to cook packaged sausage for pasta with sausage.
Always cook your sausage per the package. Some packaged sausages are pre-cooked, and others are not. Whether it’s precooked or not, I boil the sausage so I know it is cooked all the way through. Then, I sear it in a lightly oiled pan to get that nice, brown finish. Finally, I slice it into bite-size pieces so it’s easy to eat with the pasta.
How to cook broccoli rabe (or rapini) before adding it to your pasta
Add the broccoli rabe and fennel to a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with avocado oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 12 minutes. Then, chop into bite size chunks. Now it’s cooked perfectly and ready to add to your lemon & herb fusilli pasta!
Prep ahead tips
Cook the broccoli rabe, fennel, and sausage in advance. Then, you’re only 20 minute away from a healthy, delicious, weeknight dinner. This pasta with broccoli rabe is a great way to get your veggies in during the week!
To serve, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and add parmesan shavings. Can’t find pine nuts at the grocery store? Here is a link to purchase them on Amazon.
Looking for more pasta recipes other than this pasta with fennel & sausage?
Check out some of my favorite pasta recipes here!
This post has been sponsored by D’Arrigo Bros. Co. & Great American Turkey Company. All thoughts and opinions are my own.