The most comforting comfort food. I remember sitting on the kitchen floor assembling lasagne with my mother before I was big enough to reach the counters. Messy and wonderfully fun. If you recently made ravioli and have extra filling, you can add it to the cheese mixture! You can make the lasagne the 1-2 days ahead of time and keep it in the fridge OR you can make it in advance and freeze it. When I’m feeling ambitious I will make 2 and freeze one.
- 1 lb. lasagne noodles and use a 9x13 dish
- 16 oz. mozzarella ripped into small pieces
- 16 oz. ricotta
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 1 jar marinara (I keep homemade marinara in the freezer)
- Preheat to 350F and bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Cook the lasagne noodles for 10 minutes. They will not be ready to eat, just ready to assemble. Remember, you are going to bake the lasagne so they will continue to cook. Drain and drizzle with olive oil so they don't stick to each other as they cool.
- In the meantime mix the mozzarella, ricotta, 1/4 cup parmesan, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Time to layer! Add a about a ladle of marinara to an 8x8 or 9x9 pyrex. If you are making lasagne for 6, use a 9x13 dish.
- If making the lasagne for 4, this is where you will need to get a little crafty. The noodles are too long for the dish. That means you need to cut the bottom ~1/4 off each noodle. Don't worry, you will use these extra pieces.
- Place a layer of noodles over the marinara. For the 9x13 dish, when you place the noodles vertically, allow the noodles to hang over the sides of the dish. After steps 7 & 8, you can fold the noodles over the cheese and marinara before adding the next layer of noodles.
- Add 1/3 marinara mixture over the noodles.
- Add 1/3 cheese over the cheese.
- Place another layer of noodles over the cheese. I like to alternate noodle directions - if you placed them horizontally last time, place the vertically this time.
- Add 1/3 marinara, 1/3 cheese, another layer of noodles, last 1/3 marinara, last 1/3 cheese.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup parmesan.
- Bake ~45 minutes for small lasagne, 1 hour for large.
- Let rest at least 15 minutes before cutting into it and serving.