These healthied-up huevos rancheros will become a regular breakfast, lunch, or dinner in your home. The sauce is just spicy enough to make your pallet sing, without feeling too spicy. The earthiness of the kale really balances the richness of the rest of the dish…enjoy!
- 2/3 lb. tomatoes diced, I used vine tomatoes
- 2 shallots diced
- 1 jalapeño thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 bunch kale chopped
- 1 can black beans
- avocado oil
- 4 eggs fried
- salt & pepper
- 4 corn tortillas
- cilantro for serving
- 4 oz. feta cheese
- Heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the half your diced shallots, 2 of your garlic cloves, 2/3 of your jalapeño, and cook until the shallots are translucent, 2-4 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the other half of your shallots, the rest of your garlic, and cook until the shallots are translucent, 2-4 minutes.
- Add the black beans, kale, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the kale just starts to wilt, ~5 minutes.
- Fry your eggs...I like mine over medium.
- Heat your tortillas on the stove, in the oven, or microwave. If you want to make this less healthy, you can fry them and get them crunchy.
- Blend your ranchero sauce.
- Assemble your huevos rancheros: Tortilla on the bottom, then the kale/bean mixture, coat with a spoon of the ranchero sauce, top with the fried egg, add more ranchero sauce, then garnish with the rest of the sliced jalapeño, cilantro, and feta...enjoy!