Last updated on September 30th, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Bring out the food processor grating disk for this one! And don’t forget to get creative with the toppings.
Hash Brown Cake
Bring out the food processor grating disk for this one! And don't forget to get creative with the toppings.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 3 russet potatoes peeled and grated
- salt and pepper
- 8 tbsp flavorless oil like sunflower seed oil or canola oil
- 5 scallions whites and greens separated
- Toppings option 1: cream cheese smoked salmon, and fresh dill
- Toppings option 2: fried egg avocado, and basil
- Rinse the grated potatoes until the water runs clear. Squeeze them to remove as much liquid as you can. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. I use a stainless steel skillet, but if you have less experience in the kitchen I recommend non-stick.
- Add half the potatoes, then the scallion whites, then the rest of the potatoes.
- Press them firmly with a spatula to form the cake as you see in the photo above.
- Cook until golden brown ~10 minutes.
- Slide the hash brown carefully onto a plate or light cutting board.
- Add the other 4 tbsp of oil into the skillet.
- Carefully add the hash brown golden side up.
- Cook until golden brown on this side, ~10 minutes.
- Top with scallion greens. Top with any toppings you desire.