This simple comfort dish gets me every time – this elevated grilled cheese and tomato soup is just what you need on a cold winter night. I promise.
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
Ingredients for the soup:
- 1 lb. tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 14- oz diced tomatoes can
- 1 cup basil leaves packed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 14- oz vegetable stock or chicken
- 1 pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Ingredients for the grilled cheese:
- 6 oz. cheddar
- 6 oz. gruyere
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices of sourdough bread sliced 1/2-3/4"
- 4 eggs optional, fried
Method for Soup:
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Slice the tomatoes in half. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 50 minutes.
- ~30 minutes into roasting, sauté the onions and garlic with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the canned diced tomatoes, basil, stock/water, roasted tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup.
- Season with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
Method for Grilled Cheese:
- Grate the cheese by hand or with a food processor.
- Layer 1 slice bread, then the mixed cheese evenly spread, then the optional fried egg, then more evenly spread cheese, then the last slice of bread.
- Using a panini press, stovetop grill (medium heat), or pan (medium heat), butter the surface when heated and add the sandwich. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side (just 3-5 minutes for panini press.) I place a heavy pot on top of the sandwich to smash it down as it is cooking - I find it melts better.