Last updated on January 12th, 2019 at 01:25 pm
Serve this broccoli rabe, fennel, & apple slaw as a side at your next picnic, on top of lettuce as a delicious salad, or spruce up your burger toppings with this elevated spin on your everyday coleslaw!
Broccoli Rabe, Fennel, and Apple Slaw
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 bunch of broccoli rabe leaves removed
- 1 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced or grated
- 1/2-1 tsp of microplaned yellow onion or shallot
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- Slice the fennel bulbs on a mandolin. Add to a large bowl.
- Slice the broccoli rabe stems into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Snap off the florets. Add both to the large bowl with the fennel.
- Julienne your apple. Add to the bowl with the fennel and broccoli rabe.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a medium bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the fennel, broccoli rabe, and apple.
- Toss to coat and enjoy!
What makes this rabe, fennel, & apple slaw special?
This slaw is winter and spring season friendly, has my favorite dressing, and utilizes broccoli rabe. Also, we are utilizing the entire broccoli rabe & fennel. Also, reducing waste is a huge priority for me. That’s why I meal plan! One way to reduce waste is by using ALL the parts of your produce. So, in this slaw we are using not just the broccoli rabe florets. First, cut off your broccoli rabe florets. Then, shave the stem with a vegetable peeler. Next, add it to your slaw, and enjoying it equally.
What’s your favorite dressing?
Poppyseed dressing is hands-down my FAVORITE dressing, and I have created the perfect version that’s a hit with every guest I’ve had. So, if you’re looking for more recipes that use this dressing, check out my favorite salad here.
Why is broccoli rabe a superfood?
Broccoli rabe (a.k.a. rapini) is dense with nutrients. The fiber & water in this vegetable keeps you full longer (helping with weight loss & food intake), & aids in digestion. Also, it’s loaded with vitamins and minerals like A, C, K, calcium, folate, & iron. It’s a health nut’s dream!
Enjoy this slaw on its own, as a burger topping, or on a bed of lettuce or spinach. Then, watch your guests beg for the recipe!
Want more broccoli rabe recipes?
Finally, here are some other recipes that use broccoli rabe. I love incorporating broccoli rabe into dishes that aren’t the healthiest. It’s a healthy boost to my favorite foods. Enjoy!
This shop has been compensated by D’Arrigo Bros Co. All opinions are mine alone.