Bobby Flay’s picquillo pepper pesto makes EVERYTHING taste AMAZING! If you have any extra (which I doubt you will) use it on toast in the morning with a fried egg or make this recipe for halibut.
Bison (or Turkey) Burgers with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Bobby Flay's piquillo pepper pesto makes EVERYTHING taste AMAZING! If you have any extra (which I doubt you will) use it on toast in the morning with a fried egg or make this recipe for halibut.
- 10 oz piquillo peppers drained
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp red chile flakes
- 2 tbsp arugula
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 lbs. ground bison or turkey 90% lean
- 4 burger buns split and toasted
- 2 avocados
- 1 large tomato
- 1.5 cups arugula
- salt and pepper
- Quarter or roughly chop the garlic (if you put it in the food processor whole they will not break down)
- Put the piquillo pesto ingredients in the food processor. Run until smooth.
- Divide the meat into 4 portions. Form a 3/4" thick patty. Press your thumb into the center. Season (about 1.5x what you think) with salt and pepper. Brush with olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat your grill to high. Cook 3 minutes on one side for bison and 5 minutes for turkey. FLIP. Cook 3 minutes for bison and 5 minutes for turkey.
- Layer your burgers with arugula, tomato, avocado, and of course, the pesto.
Calories: 872kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 60g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 119mg | Sodium: 1119mg | Potassium: 1240mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1502IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 150mg | Iron: 8mg