You can never go wrong with tacos - there are so many great fillings and varieties, and there’s always something to please everyone. From vegan potato tacos to marinated steak tacos, I've got you covered with the best tacos in each category!
This taco roundup is something I wanted to share for Cinco de Mayo, an annual holiday that has turned into celebrating Mexican culture and heritage with parties, delicious food, and drinks.
I want to acknowledge that this holiday isn’t always celebrated and honored with its origin in mind, especially in the US. Read more about Cinco de Mayo on Wikipedia.
I’m sharing these recipes to express my great appreciation for a broader Latin cuisine - growing up and living in Southern California and living for a short time in Guatemala influences so many of my recipes.
The recipes in this best tacos guide are non-traditional, though I’m lucky to have had the chance to taste traditional recipes on my many travels. When I lived in Guatemala, I had a fantastic time making masa from scratch - a pretty unique experience, even for locals! And of course, I got to learn how to make many traditional dishes while I was there.
Tips for the Best Tacos
- Marinate your meat overnight for the best flavor.
- Don’t waste your leftover marinade! Cook it down and use as a great sauce for your tacos, or in another recipe.
- Make sure to heat up your tortillas prior to serving. When they’re hot, they don't break, are more pliable, and taste better.
- Always serve any taco with sliced limes, your favorite salsa, fresh guacamole and chips. (plenty of them!)
- Find tortillas that you love. Try a few different brands and see which one works best. They are all slightly different, so it’s worth it to find the one you love for all future tacos. My preference is white corn tortillas, but I do like to switch it up every now and then.
The Best Chicken Tacos
I’m a fierce advocate for marinating your meat for tacos to get the best flavor. The marinade for this chicken is delicious - it has a great balance of acidic, sweet, and spicy. This not only helps break down the chicken to make it tender, but adds so much flavor. I use boneless chicken thighs as I think their taste and texture works the best.
The Best Steak Tacos
These are a popular recipe on the blog, and for good reason! The steak is so tender and flavorful. The trick is a super marinade. The acidic citrus juice in the marinade helps break down the meat and get that juicy, tender texture you’re craving.
The Best Vegan Tacos
Potatoes? In tacos? YES and they’re incredible. Mine are filled with spiced and perfectly roasted Yukon Gold potatoes topped with a rich salsa and squeeze of lime. They’re so full of great flavor, I think they’re a fantastic alternative to meat and fish tacos. They might even become your new go-to taco filling.
The Best Fried Fish Tacos
These tacos are filled with delicate flaky fish and a delicious combo of hot sauce and ranch on top. It may sound weird, but trust me it's amazing! This recipe works great with any white fish or skinned salmon.
This recipe was inspired by my favorite taco Tuesday spot in San Diego, South Beach Bar and Grill (link to restaurant page opens in new tab). Baja- style food represents an incredible fusion of Mexican and American cuisine.
The Best Grilled Fish Tacos
This recipe is almost the same as the recipe above, with a winning combination of toppings, and instead of deep-frying the fish, the fish is grilled (or pan-fried). A wonderful, delicious option with my favorite flavor combinations... enjoy!
The Best Quick Tacos
A 30-minute taco recipe that delivers on freshness. The meaty swordfish pairs great with the acidity of a tomatillo salsa with lime and the butteriness of the smashed avocado. Make the salsa homemade or grab your favorite at the store... either way, this recipe is a winner!
Resources for Traditional Recipes
If you’re curious and want to try making some traditional tortillas and make the best tacos from scratch, these are some of my favorite recipes!
- For a traditional corn tortilla recipe, try these by Mexico in my Kitchen.
- For a traditional flour tortilla recipe, I love these from Denay’s blog, Confetti and Bliss.
- For fun homemade cheese and Poblano pepper tacos, this recipe also from Mexico in my Kitchen is a winner.
Interested in cooking classes? I offer classes starting at $5 over on Patreon. Check them out!
Looking for more roundups and guides? Check out some of these favorites: